We are off and running! Reading Counts is in full swing. Each child has a goal of 20 points to reach by the end of the quarter. There will be a small treat for all the kids that meet that goal. I also told them there will be an extra treat if they are one of top five point earners in their class!
We stopped reading, "The One and Only Ivan" aloud in class. I purchased some copies for the kids to take turns and read. This week, I am going to let the kids pick a historical fiction book for me to read aloud to them. I am trying to read aloud part of it and then offer copies for them to finish. Just a way to "hook" them into a new book.
Today, I sent home letters about your child's SRI performance. This was a test we took on the computer that is just one measure of a child's reading comprehension skills. It assigns each child a Lexile score. By the end of fifth grade, the goal is for each fifth grader to score between 700-1000. We will take it again in January and finally in May. Please let me know if you have questions.
Tomorrow is our first "Weekly Ten". This is a reading quiz worth ten points. Students will independently read an informational article and answer questions. This is a formative. Next week, we will be having a reading summative over the skills of: main idea, inferencing, summarizing, and quoting evidence from the text.
We are focusing on informational writing and have drafted a few pieces about different topics focusing on sharing facts. We are going to start a project where students will pick an American symbol to write an article about.
No comments:
Post a Comment